Spicy Szechuan Stir-Fry
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, pounded thin and cut into 1-inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup onions, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ¼ cup green peppers, julienned
- ¼ cup red peppers, julienned
- ¼ cup yellow peppers, julienned
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chile paste
- pinch garam masala
- corn starch in cold water
- ¼ cup scallions, cut thinly on the bias
Heat a small, dry saucepan. When the saucepan is hot, add the Szechuan peppercorns and, shaking the pan constantly, toast until the peppercorns are fragrant. Remove from the heat. Place the peppercorns in a spice grinder and grind. Season the chicken pieces with the peppercorns and salt and set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat. When the wok is hot, add the oil. Add the ginger, garlic and onions and stir fry for 1 minute.
Add the chicken, broccoli, peppers, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, sherry, chile paste, and garam masala. Stir fry until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are cooked, but al dente, about 5 minutes.
Add the scallions and stir fry for 1 more minute.
Add enough corn starch & water to thicken. Remove immediately from wok.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes