Chicken and Vegetable Couscous with Harissa
- Harissa Paste
- dry harissa spice mix (I got mine here)
- olive oil
- Main Ingredients
- ½ T cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- ½ T coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- a good scoop of harissa paste to taste (it is spicy!)
- ½ c tomato paste
- 4 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped2 carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths (larger ends should be split)
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch lengths
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- ¾ cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 chicken breasts
- chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- Couscous Ingredients
- pine nuts
Make the harissa paste. Mix olive oil with the dry harissa spice mix until a thick paste is formed. Add water to thin the paste out slightly.
Toast and grind the cumin and corriander seeds.
In a dutch oven, saute the onion and leeks. Add the garlic right at the end of the saute.
Add the some harissa paste and tomato paste and all the veggies, plus the chicken. Pour on enough chicken stock to cover everything. Add the spices. Simmer until the chicken is done.
While simmering, prepare the couscous according to package instructions. When done, after forking, stir in the pine nuts.
Remove the chicken and add the cilantro and parsley to the dutch over. Shred the chicken and return to the dutch oven just long enough to make sure it is hot.
Serve the contents of the dutch oven with couscous, with the harissa paste on the side.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes