Peruvian Chicken with Plums
- 3 ½ lbs skinless chicken breast
- 3 T vegetable oil
- 1 c onions, chopped
- 1 c diced green bell peppers
- 2 t garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 seeded, diced fresh jalapeno pepper
- ¼ t powdered saffron, Optional
- 3 ½ c low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 quartered fresh plums
- 4 c cooked brown rice
Sauté chicken in oil in large nonstick skillet, turning often until golden brown on all sides, about 12 minutes.
Add onion, green pepper and garlic, then sauté 2 minutes longer. Add tomato, jalapeno, saffron, stock and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add plums and rice, heat.
Serve with extra plum wedges, if desired.
Cooking time: 4 ½ hours