Pulled Pork with Root Beer Sauce
- 1 (2-½ to 3 lbs) pork sirloin roast
- ½ t each salt & pepper
- 1 T cooking oil
- 2 med. onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 c each root beer & bottled chili sauce
- 2 T minced garlic
- 3 c root beer (two 12-ounce cans or bottles)
- ¼ t root beer concentrate (optional)
- Several dashes hot pepper sauce
- 8-10 hamburger buns, split
Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-½ to 5 qt crockpot. Sprinkle meat with the salt & pepper. In a lg. skillet brown meat all over in hot oil. Drain off fat. Put in Crockpot. Add onions, 1 c. root beer & garlic. Cover & cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs. or on high 4 to 5 hrs.
For sauce: In a med. saucepan combine the 24 oz. of root beer & the chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 min. or until mixture is reduced to 2 c. Add root beer concentrate & hot pepper sauce.
Transfer roast serving platter. Remove onions from pot & place on serving platter. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart. Top with sauce or allow your diners to do this.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time 10 hours