Baked Penne With Roasted Vegetables
- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into strips
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into slices
- 2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into slices
- ½ lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced into strips
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 T dried Italian herb mix
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3-4 C marinara sauce (Ragu marinara is great)
- 3 C grated mozzarella
- 1 ½ C frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 - 1/3 C grated Parmesan
- 2 T butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
On a large baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, dried herbs, salt, black and red pepper, and garlic powder. Roast until tender, about 15-45 minutes, checking for doneness and stirring every 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, mozzarella, and peas. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the Parmesan and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.