Basic Tomato Sauce
- ¼ c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into ¼-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 T chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 T dried
- ½ medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 28-oz cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- Salt to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and the carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve.
This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes